As a parent with three children already (and another one on the way!), I know how difficult it can be to decide on a name. There are so many factors to consider along with the sense that making a mistake with the name will somehow doom your child. In some ways, you just want to make your child’s name fun and cool but in other ways you want to ensure that it has a classic or modern feel for when they grow up and get into the real world.
There are many great middle name options for little boys names Blake that range from more classic favorites all the way to totally unique and interesting. Here are the best middle name ideas for the first name Blake.
Don’t worry if you obsess over names for a while – you have nine months to pick! But those months can seem to fly by so you can’t dilly dally forever! Let’s look at the history behind the name Blake, tips for finding the right middle name, and then my favorites.
The meaning and history behind Blake
Blake has been a fairly popular name for that last several decades.
In fact, Blake reached number 150 in 2017 for boy names in the United States.
There is a little bit of uncertainty when it comes to the origins of the name Blake but most accounts have it based from Old English. Oddly enough, it could stem from the word ‘blac’ which was a nickname for a person with dark skin or hair or from ‘blaac’ which is a nickname for a person with pale skin or hair.
The first recorded use of the name Blake was in Yorkshire, England and likely came from the town of Blaker. Before then, however, it was also one of the 14 Tribes of Galway in Ireland and still survives strongly in that country.
Blake is probably most famous when used as a surname for William Blake, the famous English poet, and painter.
Help finding the right middle name
For most people, the middle name can be a bit of a stumbling block.
All of the time and attention that goes into the first name can sometimes overshadow the middle name and parents are left scrambling to fill in the blank. Some people even choose to use two middle names. Other people, meanwhile, don’t even use a middle name!
In the United States, you are only legally required to have a first and last name on the birth certificate so you can truly do whatever you want when it comes to the middle name. Still, I think these names help the overall flow of the name and give you a chance to have more fun or give a nod to the past with your selection.
Where to find inspiration for the middle name
Since middle names don’t come up all that often, they can be whatever you want. With so many options, however, it can make it hard to choose so I thought I would provide some of the most common sources for inspiration:
- Your second choice for the first name – Coming up with the first name can be hard so you likely had a couple that you were torn between until the final decision was made. Since you loved the other one enough to struggle with it, why not use it for the middle name? First names usually make great middle names.
- Family or traditional names – Family members like parents, grandparents, and even your crazy uncles can be great sources of awesome middle names. These give you a way to honor family or friends as well as bring back really old school names.
- Memories or favorite places – A wonderful shared memory with your spouse could be a good inspiration for a middle name. Think back to the place that you met, your honeymoon, or just a magical retreat that you love to visit. Examples here are Auburn, London, and Brooklyn.
- Two can be better than one! – If you can’t decide on one middle name why not choose two! Don’t be afraid to experiment here but make sure that the whole name sounds good together!
What to watch out for when you choose the middle name
While finding a middle name can be extremely fun it’s definitely possible to create problems depending on your selection. Here are some things to think about:
- The flow of the name – You’ve got to say the full name you’ve chosen out loud and in different contexts once you’ve made your choice. Try to avoid having hard stops in the name, awkward transitions, or repetitive starting letters. The right name will just flow off of the tongue. A good trick is to yell your baby’s name out like they are in trouble. If you find it difficult or funny then it might be worth looking for alternatives!
- Monogram spellings – Boys probably won’t have as many monograms on their clothes as girls do but it’s still worth thinking about. Monogram letters go in the FIRST, LAST, MIDDLE order so perfectly normal initials might turn into a weird monogram.
- Initial spellings – Like monograms, it’s crucial to see what your little Blake’s full name will spell if you wrote out the initials. For instance, you might want to avoid naming your son Blake Alexander Edwards unless you want his nickname to be B.A.E.
- Potential nicknames – This is probably the biggest one. Many parents give no thought to what other kids might call their baby once they get old enough for other kids to start picking. While an unfortunate nickname is not really a good reason to give up a name you otherwise love – it is a factor!
Psst! Since you already have the first name picked out, why don’t you check out a few personalized gifts for your new baby boy Blake!
All of these can be personalized with Blake’s name!
So without any more blathering on, let’s get to the list! I’ve found a ton of options for Blake’s middle name across the spectrum from classic, modern, and unique categories. This is just my list and it’s only a start but I think that you will find something that you can work with or give you inspiration!
Classic middle names for Blake
If your goal is to keep things simple and timeless then choosing a classic middle name is a solid option. It might not show as much personality as some of the other names but it also won’t draw any funny looks either. These names are sourced from prominent historical figures, Biblical influences, and more.
Modern middle names for Blake
If you want something with a little more punch or personality then looking at a modern name option can work well. These might be a little more offbeat and trendy but should come off as more cool than strange.
Unique and fun middle names for Blake
If you are taking the opportunity to use your son’s middle name to be more fun or interesting then using your imagination to come up with a more unique name is your best bet. Here are some examples of names that I think fit the bill but the sky is the limit here!
Hopefully, you’ve been able to find some inspiration for your future baby boy’s middle name!
It can seem overwhelming to find a middle name that you like but trust that you will find something that you can love eventually. Go over all of the names and just let them sit in your mind for a while and see what your brain sorts out. Sometimes I’ve found that names I initially hated ended up being my favorites. Additionally, first favorites can end up getting scrapped by the end. You just never know!
Enjoy your baby whatever name you decide!