We have three children already with another one on the way so my wife and I have thought a lot about names over the years. It can be so difficult to decide on your baby’s name and there are a ton of factors to consider before finding the right fit. Since the first name usually gets all of the attention I thought that I would take some time to help out the parents struggling to find the right middle name. Today, we’ll look at the best middle names for a boy named Sawyer.
There are a ton of fantastic middle name options for boys named Sawyer that fit into the classic, modern, or unique categories. Here are the best middle name ideas for the first name Sawyer.
By the way, don’t worry if you are still struggling by the end of this post. Write any names that you like down and let them marinate for a while inside your head. Names tend to become more or less attractive to you over time and you might be surprised which ones you end up on!
The meaning and history behind Sawyer
Sawyer has been a pretty popular name for a boy in recent years.
In fact, Sawyer has been in the top 100 boy names since 2015 and came in at 99 in 2018.
As far as origins go, this name is pretty simple. It comes from the Old English word for a woodcutter. If you think about what a woodcutter does all day, saw wood, then you can imagine where they got the name. The most famous person with this name is probably the fictional character Tom Sawyer from Mark Twain’s famous book. Because of the reference, most people probably associate the name Sawyer with rural, country boys.
There is also an air of adventure and mischievousness in the name!
Help finding the right middle name
After spending all of your energy on the first name the middle name can feel like a chore.
Don’t let that take away from finding the perfect complement to the first name that you worked so hard to decide on! Heck, you could even decide to pick up two middle names or even leave that space blank! In the US, you are really only legally required to have a first and last name on the birth certificate so it really is your choice. Still, the overwhelming majority of the country sticks with the traditional three name setup.
Don’t be afraid to have a little more fun with the middle name, by the way, because you can get away with a lot more with this one than you can with a first name. In most cases, middle names are rarely used and serve as a way to honor family or make an otherwise normal name more fun.
Where to find inspiration for the middle name
Since it’s not as common to use the middle name you can choose to make it whatever you want without much fear of judgment. Still, it can be overwhelming when you start to think about it so I have four ideas for where you could find inspiration:
- Family or traditional names – The name of family members is a great choice for finding the perfect middle name that many parents use. Comb through the list of grandparents, uncles, and old maiden names long enough and you’ll probably find something neat. Using these names helps preserve their memory and gives honor to loved ones at the same time.
- Your second choice for the first name – If you were absolutely torn between a few different first names before you made the final decision then you could still let one of them live on through the middle name! Luckily, most good first names also make great middle names!
- Two can be better than one – Like I said before you don’t have to limit yourself to just one middle name. If you find a combination that flows well together or you just don’t want to be able to honor both granddads you can get away with it. Plus bonus points for sounding like an English prince!
- Memories or favorite places – Place names are pretty trendy for first names but they work well for middle names as well. Consider honeymoon destinations, favorite retreats, or just a place that you have a great memory of with your spouse.
What to watch out for when you choose the middle name
It can be super fun thinking of middle names but there are still a few things that you need to watch out for that could cause problems with the name as a whole. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Potential nicknames – While you shouldn’t just toss a name for fear of an unfortunate nickname it is definitely something to think about. Put yourself into the mind of a mean child and see what you can come up with if you were trying to make fun of your child’s name.
- Initial spellings – There will be many occasions where your child’s initials will be written down, printed on a form, or otherwise put onto display for others. With a name like Sawyer, it might be unfortunate if the initials spell ‘S.A.D’ or ‘S.T.D’ Just something to think about!
- Monogram spellings – Monograms won’t come up nearly as much with boys since you usually find them on stickers or clothes but it is still something you might want to write down just in case.
- The overall flow of the name – Once you decide on your favorite full name I highly recommend that you write it down and say it out loud a few times as well. This will help determine how the whole name flows. Hard stops or repetitive lettering can make a full name sound strange. One trick you can use is to scream the name out like your child is in trouble or read it slowly as if they are graduating from college to see how it sounds. If you can’t take it seriously then you might want to reconsider.
So without any further ado, let’s get to the list! I’ve scoured the internet and found a ton of great-sounding middle names for a little boy named Sawyer. Some of these have a classic feel, others modern, and still more of them are a bit more unique or interesting. I hope that you find one you love!
Classic middle names for Sawyer
If you want to keep things simple and traditional then you’ll want to pay special attention to these classic names. All of these are steeped in historical or Biblical tradition. They are strong and won’t draw any strange looks from anyone but they might not be as interesting, either!
Modern middle names for Sawyer
One cut above classic names is the modern name. These might be a bit more trendy and offbeat but still, retain a certain timelessness and charm.
Unique and fun middle names for Sawyer
If you want to use the middle name to have a little fun or add some more personality into your son’s name then look over this list for something more unique. Here is a list of a few that I think are cool but the sky is the limit so don’t be afraid to use your imagination!
I hope that you’ve found some inspiration today for your future baby boy!
Don’t let the search for the perfect middle name bog you down and frustrate you too badly. Just go over all of the names that you like and let them sit and simmer. You and your spouse will eventually find the one that just sounds ‘right’.
Enjoy your beautiful baby no matter which name you decide to use!